Spread betting is a derivatives productВ that allows you toВ trade on the price movementsВ of thousands of financial markets and instruments including indices, shares, currencies, commodities and more.В В
You can use spread bets to speculate on price movements irrespective of whether the markets are rising or falling. If youВ go longВ (buy), your profits will rise in line with any increase in that price. If youВ go shortВ (sell), your profits will rise in line with any fall. Similarly, if you go long on the price and the underlying stock price falls, you will incur losses.
Spread betting is aВ margined productВ that only requires you to deposit a small percentage of the full value of your position. This means that theВ potential for profits, or losses, from an initial capital outlay is significantly higher than in traditional trading. The margin required is typically between 1% and 10% of the total value of your position, depending on the market.
Just like other forms of trading, including traditional share dealing, two prices are quoted for all spread bets вЂ“ a buy price (the price at which you can go long if you expect the underlying market to rise) and a sell price (the price at which you can go short if you expect the underlying market price to fall). The difference between the вЂbuyвЂ™ price and вЂsellвЂ™ price is known as the spread.
Benefits of Spread BettingВ
The main benefit of spread betting as opposed to conventional forms of trading is that you can trade on both rising and falling markets, giving you the potential to make a profit regardless of whether the markets go up or down. But, there's plenty more to consider. В
В 1. Any profit you make is tax-free*
All profits made in spread betting are exempt from UK Capital Gains Tax*. This automatically saves you from losing a significant percentage of your profits. As spread betting is aВ derivatives product, itвЂ™s also exempt from UK stamp duty. (Tax laws are subject to change and depend on individual circumstances.)
2. You can trade 24 hours a day
You are able to access your account and trade whenever you want, wherever you are, which is important particularly when market prices are moving quickly. The majority of spread betting brokers give you unrestricted access to your account 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.В
Many brokers also run markets 24 hours a day; including major indices such as the UK 100 and Wall Street, which means you can still spread bet when the underlying markets are closed.
3. Use leverage to maximise your profits
As a leveraged product, when you spread bet you only need to deposit a small percentage of the full value of your position - this is known as margin. This means that the potential for profits, or losses, from your initial capital outlay is significantly higher than with traditional trading.В
Margins factors can start from just 40 x stake, depending on the market youвЂ™re trading.
4. Profit on both bull and bear markets
Spread betting is one of the few forms of financial trading that enables you to profit from falling market prices. So you can gain exposure to market movements regardless of the direction in which the markets are moving.
For example, if you think the markets are going to rise, you go long on the price (buy). Your profits will rise in line with any increase in that price (and your losses will increase in line with any fall in price).
If, on the other hand, you think the markets will fall you go short on the price (sell). Your profits will rise in line with any fall on that price (and your losses will increase with any rise in price).В
5. Trade on a huge range of markets
With spread betting, you can not only take a position on thousands of individual shares, indices and currencies around the world, but also place trades on sectors, commodities, bonds and interest rates.В For example, this means you are able to trade on gold spot price, as well as other gold derivatives such as futures, mining companies, ETFs etc.Category Links Top Brokers
1. Jurisdiction The information provided on this site is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person or entity in any jurisdiction or country where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation or that would subject iNVEZZ to any regulation under, or registration requirement within, such jurisdiction or country. Products or services described herein may not be available in all jurisdictions.
2. Non-Solicitation Neither the information, nor any opinion contained in this site, constitutes a solicitation or offer by us to buy or to sell any investments or other financial instruments or to provide any investment advice or service, whether relating to buying, selling, holding investments of any description.
3. Suitability of Investment Use of this Website We advertise the services of others involved in financial markets. We do not provide advice concerning the suitability or value of any particular investment or investment strategy. The content of this website is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute financial or other professional advice.
4. Risk Warning Forex, Spread Bets and CFDs are high risk and losses can exceed your investment. Binary options are speculative and you can lose some or all of your investment.Add SWOT Argument Don't have an account? Register Forgotten password Receive free weekly digest Update display name Compare ( 0 ) Save this comparison: Set Your Own Settings
Be informative and insightful: Be specific and relevant to the provider youвЂ™re reviewing, and describe what other users are likely to experience.
Keep it real: Be authentic. Review your own experience, and explain why you liked or disliked the provider. Try to be as accurate as possible, and include both the positive and negative aspects of your experience.
Be respectful: Not every experience with a particular provider is going to be perfect. Sometimes youвЂ™ll want to share negative feedback. Even if youвЂ™re frustrated, make sure your criticism is constructive. Business owners often use feedback to improve their offerings.
Write with style: People will pay attention when you write thoughtful reviews. Keep them readable and avoid excessive capitalization or punctuation. Use good grammar, check your spelling, and avoid profanity. Choose the right length - a paragraph is great. Be creative and have fun!Customize Report review What is the issue? Upload photo Crop photo Insert link Upload photo iNVEZZ SWOT explained Welcome back! It seems that last time you subscribed for Royal Mail alerts.
Since youвЂ™re just one step away from all the good stuff, hereвЂ™s just a few of the reasons why you might consider becoming an iNVEZZ member:Full access to all our journalism, everyday
Follow the investment instruments and themes YOU are interested inFree live market data, tools and alerts
Coming soon, Level 1 LSE, forex and commodities dataWhat does your broker or DIY investment platform really cost?
The marketвЂ™s most sophisticated price comparison and peer review toolPlease, fill in the form below: Signup for an iNVEZZ account!
Since youвЂ™re just one step away from all the good stuff, hereвЂ™s just a few of the reasons why you might consider becoming an iNVEZZ member:Free live market data, tools and alerts
Level 1 LSE, forex and commodities data (coming soon)Full access to all our journalism, everyday
Follow the investment instruments and themes YOU are interested inWhat does your broker or DIY investment platform really cost?
The marketвЂ™s most sophisticated price comparison and peer review toolPlease, fill in the form below: Get Alerts on
Receive free, real-time email Notifications with breaking news and commentary.
© Sports Betting 2018